5 Important Facts about Mold and Mold Inspection Atlanta, GA
Mold infestations in buildings have the potential to cause notable structural damage as well as health problems. Mold produces allergens, irritants, and potential mycotoxins. These substances can cause health problems such as skin irritation, allergies, wheezing, stuffy nose, coughing, and sneezing.
Learn more about mold, the damage it causes to property, and why a mold inspection is essential.
- What is Mold?
Mold is a type of fungus that thrives in damp conditions. The fungus spreads by producing spores. The spores hang around in the air until they land on a surface and continue producing more mold. Mold and mold spores are responsible for harmful health effects such as skin irritation, allergies, discomfort, and respiratory illnesses.
- Property Damage That Can Be Caused By Mold
Mold can cause notable damage to property in various ways. Examples include:
- Structural components and building materials: Mold feeds on and decomposes organic matter. Therefore, it can cause notable damage to wood, drywall, carpeting, and other materials.
- Personal property: Mold may also damage property within a home by making items such as furniture and leather materials difficult to clean.
- Heating and ventilation systems: Mold can enter and damage heating and ventilation systems.
- Signs of Mold Damage
You can see or perceive evidence of mold damage using the following signs:
- Visible mold infestations
- Water stains and discoloration
- Musty odors
- Damaged surfaces include ceilings, drywalls, timber, furniture, and wooden tiles.
- When to Do Mold Inspection
Mold inspection is an important exercise because it helps identify the presence of mold in a given area and generally provides information about the scope of the problem. During the mold inspection, mold infestations are usually quantified in terms of intensity per square footage.
It is necessary to carry out a mold inspection:
- If you see signs of dampness
- When you see mold
- After a flooding occurrence
- When buying a new home
- If a house has been unoccupied
- After mold remediation
- Benefits of Mold Inspection
- It can help you detect moisture problems in your home: Even if your home does not currently have mold, a mold inspection can help you know areas at risk of mold infestation.
- Stop mold from spreading: When a mold inspection reveals that your home or basement has mold, a mold removal company can help you stop the mold from spreading.
- Avert health problems: By doing a mold inspection, you prevent the various health problems associated with mold. Sometimes, you may feel the musty odors associated with mold but not see any mold since it is hidden. By detecting both visible and invisible mold, you will be able to take the necessary corrective measures so that you can stay comfortable.
Contact the Professionals at CGS Waterproofing Today! (404) 234-0248